ISO 50001 : 2011 Energy Management Systems
ISO 50001 is a standard for energy management system developed in 2011 to acquire constant improvement of their company such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.The ISO 50001 standard makes company to implements energy management strategy in the organization which comply with all the energy policy and energy requirements. All the energy issues can be sorted out using the ISO 50001 system. Energy performance of this ISO 50001 system is important with all the energy efficiency, energy consumption and use. ISO 50001 is designed to use independently, but can be incorporated other system such as quality, environment, food safety, occupational health and safety management systems. ISO 50001:2011 can be applies to all factors affecting energy performance which may be monitored by company.
Advantages of ISO 50001 System
- Works from big to small organizations across varied commercial, industrial and public sectors
- · Helps to attain energy efficiency & compliance
- · Improved cost savings (Reduce energy intake)
- · Improves communication and transparency on the management of electricity sources
- · Improves capital and operations expenditure decisions
- · Improves the capacity to benchmark, measure and report energy intensity improvements
- · ISO 50001 standard helps in assessing and prioritizing new high-tech technologies
ISO 50001 Certification
ISO 50001 Certification is issued by a Certifying body, which is licensed to provide certification under the ISO 50001:2011. The certificate is issued for the period of 3 years following successful completion of pre-assessment and registration (Closing) assessment. The certificate is valid until 3 years from the date of issue. Surveillance audits are conducted by the Certifying body over the period of 3 years in the interval of 6 Months, 9 Months or 12 Months based on the character and dimensions of the Organization. Upon completion of 3 years, renewal audit is done for new 3 years cycle.
Measures Taken for ISO 50001 Certification
- Micro–degree questionnaire for each action of the organization and preparation of detail Gap analysis report,
- Preparation of applicable documents required by ISO 50001:2011 based on detail analysis of actions of the Organizations, for example;
- Energy Management System Manual,
- Energy Management System Procedures (Mandatory procedures needed by the standard),
- Identification and planning of Energy Use and consumptions report of the Organizations,
- Identification of applicable acts, rules etc. and prep of Register of regulations and rules (ROR),
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to restrain identified tasks having problems associated with energy,
- Formats to establish the objective proof of implementation and to ensure control over most of the activities.
- Helps in effective implementation of program by regular trip until ISO 50001 certification,
- Additionally, give training to employee related to energy saving and energy control
- Train internal auditors.
- Assess the machine through initial internal audit to check preparation to your iso 50001 certificate.
- Take corrective actions for non-conformities and carry out management review meeting
- Apply for certificate.
- Conduct management review meeting in existence of Top management to guide the Organization for effective implementation on all of the issues associated with energy management system.
- Take corrective actions about the non-conformities to the satisfaction of the certifying body
Requirements of ISO 50001 System
- Energy Policy – Create a policy to get more efficient utilization of electricity,
- Fix goals and goals to meet the coverage,
- Running controls and procedures for important energy uses,
- Use data to better understand and make decisions about energy use,
- Understands the measurement and layout of their equipment that involved in energy consumption,
- Documentation and Reporting practicing for equipment, processes and methods that give rise to energy efficiency,
- Measure the results,
- Management Review – Review how well the policy works, and
- Continuously improvement of energy efficiency
- Internal Declaration of progress reported to management based on these measurements.