ISO 50001 : 2011 Energy Management Systems
ISO 50001 is a standard for energy management system developed in 2011 to get continuous improvement of the organization like ISO 9001 and ISO 14001. The ISO 50001 standard makes organization to implements energy management system in the organization which comply with the energy policy and energy requirements. All the energy related issues can be sorted out using the ISO 50001 system. The purpose of the ISO 50001:2011 standard is to enable any small and big size organizations to follow systematic approach in achieving continuous improvements of energy performance. Energy performance of the ISO 50001 system is major with the energy efficiency, energy use and consumption. ISO 50001 is designed to use independently, but can be integrated other system like quality, environment, food safety, occupational health and safety management systems. ISO 50001:2011 can be applies to all variables affecting energy performance which can be monitored by organization.
Benefits of ISO 50001 System
- Works from large to small organizations across diverse commercial, industrial and public sectors
- Helps to achieve energy efficiency & compliance
- Improved cost savings(Decrease energy consumption)
- Coordinating energy programs (Energy Efficiency, Energy Production, Renewable Energy and Alternative Energy)
- Builds energy management into business practices
- Improves transparency and communication on the management of energy resources
- Improves operations and capital cost decisions
- Facilitates energy management best practices
- Improves the ability to benchmark, measure and report energy intensity improvements
- ISO 50001 standard helps in evaluating and prioritizing new energy-efficient technologies
- ISO 50001 framework for promoting energy efficiency throughout the supply chain.
ISO 50001 Certification
Like other ISO management system standards, certification to ISO 50001 is possible but not obligatory. ISO 50001 Certification is issued by Certifying body, which is accredited to provide certificate under the ISO 50001:2011. The certificate is issued for the period of 3 years after successful completion of pre–assessment and registration (Final) assessment. The certificate is valid till 3 years from the date of issue. Surveillance audits are conducted by the Certifying body within the period of 3 years at the interval of 6 Months, 9 Months or 12 Months depending upon the nature and size of the Organization. Upon completion of 3 years, renewal audit is done for new 3 years cycle.
Steps for ISO 50001 Certification Consultancy
- Micro–level survey for each and every activity of the organization and preparation of detail Gap analysis report,
- Preparation of applicable documents required by ISO 50001:2011 based on detail study of all activities of the Organizations, such as;
- Energy Management System Manual,
- Energy Management System Procedures (Mandatory procedures required by the standard),
- Identification and preparation ofEnergy Use and consumptions report of the Organizations,
- Identification of applicable acts, rules etc. and preparation of Register of rules and regulations (ROR),
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to control identified activities having issues related to energy,
- Formats to establish the objective evidence of implementation and to ensure control over all the activities.
- Energy Management System Awareness Training to all levels of employees within the Organization,
- Helps in effective implementation of system by periodic visit till iso 50001 certification,
- Also give training to employee related to energy saving and energy control
- Train internal auditors.
- Assess the system through first internal audit to check readiness for the iso 50001 certification.
- Take corrective actions for non-conformities and carry out management review meeting
- Apply for certification.
- Conduct management review meeting in presence of Top management to guide the Organization for effective implementation on all the issues related to energy management system.
- Take corrective actions on the non conformities to the satisfaction of the certifying body